[ale] Where to get some Hard Drive mounting screws?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 15 10:03:05 EDT 2011

William Bagwell <rb211 at tds.net> writes:

> On Monday 14 March 2011, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Based on this new picture, my screws have a flat head (similar to A)
>> but look more like B or E in terms of the stem.  They need a flat head
>> in order to get behind the drive tray rails.  A head like B, C, or D
>> wont fit.  The E head *may* fit, but my screws look thinner.
>
> http://mysecondbathouse.com/MoreScrews.jpg
>
> On the left is what I have always called a flat head, needs the hole
> counter sunk in hard materials to end up flush. That one is a pointed
> sheet metal or wood screw style. They are available in threads that
> resemble B - E in the other picture.

If you look really *really* close at my screw, then yes, it kinda looks
like your flat head..  Except that the head on my screw is like .1mm
thick.  See my other post with the link to the Chasis manual PDF image
of the screw.

> On the right is a slight variation of E with a thinner head. Just came out
> of a hard drive from 1993 that some one gave me recently. Oh, I agree
> with others who posted that B & E are a 6-32 thread.

I've verified that I need a flat-head 6-32 5mm screw.

-derek