[ale] Where to get some Hard Drive mounting screws?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 15 10:01:21 EDT 2011

"Michael H. Warfield" <mhw at WittsEnd.com> writes:

> On Mon, 2011-03-14 at 12:21 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> William Bagwell <rb211 at tds.net> writes:

>> > Instead of mailing twice, you can probaby match them up with this.
>> > http://alt-config.net/sg_lineup.jpg
>> > (Not mine BTW, snagged from the web six years ago)
>
>> Cool information!  Mine look like type A.
>
> Take a screw up to your nearest Lowes or Home Depot.  They have both SAE
> and Metric thread guides in the hardware department and you can rapidly
> tell if you have SAE (10, 14, 1/16, etc) or Metric (M3, M5, M7).  That
> way you will know for sure.  I bought one of the little plastic threatd
> guides, they sell, many years ago.  My 3-1/2 floppy drives all seem to
> have an M3 size and thread.  My 5-1/4 HD's seem to all be 6/32's.  The
> laptop HD's are back to M3's.
>
> My guess.  Fine thread and skinny is going to be M3.  Little fatter and
> a lot thicker, and you've got a 6/32.  In that image - B and E both look
> like 6/32's I have here.  C and D both look like M3's.  And the side by
> side comparison between them look exactly like what I see here.

According to my Chasis Manual (which I found online last night), it's a
flat-head 6-32 5mm screw.  See http://www.ihtfp.org/screw-page.pdf which
is a copy of the page from the manual that has all the screws on it.

It's being a pain finding something like this!

>> -derek
>
> Regards,
> Mike

-derek