[ale] screwing up the UI

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Tue Mar 15 09:08:52 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I guess I must be getting old, at 45, because I see what I think is a
disturbing trend amongst Linux development, and that is screwing around
with, and screwing up, the user interface.  I was previously running
Ubuntu 9.??.  I'm assuming that runs Gnome 2 by default.  When I
eventually upgraded to 10.04, which I'm running now, the first thing I
see is that the minimize, maximize, and exit buttons have moved to the
left of the window.  What the heck.  I immediately proceed to put them
back on the right WHERE THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BE.  Yes, I know, personal
preference.  Why are they supposed to be there, because that's where
virtually every computer user on the planet EXPECTS them to be.  After
all, we don't spontaneously move the steering wheel in our cars for next
model year to the right side in America or the left side in Europe,
opposite of what we're used to.  We don't all of a sudden scramble all
the letters on future keyboards, just because we can.  The result would
be chaos.  Now, I saw on the tuxradar site that the Gnome 3 shell will
not even have minimize and maximize buttons on windows.  Give me a
break.  If true, you can bet I probably won't be using it.  Why bother
with something that works.  I looked at this article, briefly, about the
Unity interface.  It's a bit dated, so things may have changed somewhat.

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/taking-ubuntu-unity-interface-for-test.html

Now, from my brief review of it, I'm not impressed.  I may try it later
in a VM.  Ubuntu 9 and 10 got me into Linux, and Gnome 2 (I presume)
provided the UI.  This was enough like what I'm used to, ie Windows,
that I didn't have a huge learning curve just to use the PC.  Now the
trend seems to be, lets change everything we can, just because we can,
whether it's better or not, and let's spring it on unsuspecting users
for good measure so everyone will have to retrain themselves to use
their computer.

My UI is doing exactly what I need, thank you very much.  Fortunately,
since everyone has different tastes, it's pretty customizable, which
apparently Unity is not.  For my purposes, I have a Gnome panel at the
right and one at the top.  The one at the right shows system status,
network status, firewall status, and gives me access to the sound,
power, screen lock, firefox, the Ubuntu menu, and of course, the show
the desktop button.  Oh, and the right panel also shows the date AND
time, with instant access to the calendar.  The top panel is my taskbar,
and shows a separate button for EACH window that's open, even if it's
multiple windows for the same app.  It also shows the CPU temperature,
and the frequency scaling widget for the CPU.  This is exactly the same
way I have it set up in Windows, to the extent possible, and it does
exactly what I need.

I'm sure everyone else has a different custom setup.  The point is, I
could and did set it up the way I like it, and I don't like some
designer coming along and saying, in the next version, we're going to
screw with and change most of what you're used to or have customized,
and oh by the way, these (pick a number) of features you like are going
to vanish entirely.

Based on these observations and what I'm hearing in podcasts and such, I
may just have to keep 10.04 until they stop patching it in 2013 (I
think), then very cautiously try whatever the current crop of stuff is
in VM's to see what the least painful change will be.  By the way, I'm
still running Windows XP on one machine, and from a UI standpoint, it
runs just fine, sometimes better than Vista.  This phenomenon is one
reason why I'm reluctant to install Linux on my son's PC, etc.

OK, exit soapbox.  I feel better now.

Sincerely,

Ron