[ale] Where to get some Hard Drive mounting screws?

david w. millians millia at panix.com
Mon Mar 14 11:10:48 EDT 2011

On 3/13/2011 7:09 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hey alers,
> When my 3.5" HDDs arrived the other day and I went to mount them into my
> drive trays I noticed that the trays only had 2 screws each.  Obviously
> the drives would be more secure with 4 screws each.  All my supplies are
> in boxes at the moment, so.. does anyone know where I can acquire 4 HDD
> mounting screws in the next few days?  (I certainly wouldn't mind paying
> a few dollars for them, or even mail-ordering them).
>
> The screws I have appear to be the "flat head" variety, ~3/16" long, with
> a very thin head.
>
> -derek

I would suggest getting about 100-150 case screws of various shapes and
sizes the next time you get together with other techies. (They'll have
plenty to share.) Once you've done this, put them in a dark, confined
space for about 6 months. Voila! 300 screws!

In this way, they are much like 3 prong power cords for pc power
supplies, monitors, etc.

Unfortunately, due to a vastly different genome, you can be assured you
will not have 4 screws out of the 300 that match identically. Such is life.

Seriously,
David