[ale] ale [OT] updating, securing OpenOffice, Adobe Reader / Flash

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Fri Mar 11 21:34:13 EST 2011

Hi Randy,

Living in a Windows world has taught me to be paranoid, and to always
patch my system. Even though, historically, Linux has had few threats in
the wild, acting this way is good for Linux too. I get 10 - 20 patches /
week for Ubuntu, Flash, Firefox, and Firefox addons. Many of these are
security related. As Linux usage increases, and as black hat crackers
start having a financial incentive to crack Linux, exploits will
increase. When I watched the video I posted about usb autorun, I found
that there a number of possible exploits in Linux. That guy was a white
hat, but, I think, if he wants to crack your system, depending on the
access he has, you're toast.

Here's my (hopefully) monthly checklist for Linux, although the
scheduling isn't as critical as with Windows. This will vary, of course.
Some things only need doing once. Some I do once and check periodically.
Some I do repeatedly. This month was particularly bothersome since it
involved a number of uninstall / reinstall's on Windows and Linux on
several computers.

- Run the OS update manager and patch the system. I run this
periodically anyway when it pops up. However, I force it at least monthly.
- Turn off autoplay / autorun. Recheck on occasion.
- Test Java for current version. If not current, troubleshoot why.
- Check the flash version.
- Check flash player settings occasionally in case they've changed by
accident or update.
- Check the Firefox version.
- Check Firefox settings occasionally.
- Force Firefox addons update. Remove any unneeded or outdated ones.
- Check NoScript settings occasionally. Dewhitelist unneeded sites.
- For this month, uninstall OpenOffice, install LibreOffice, set
security settings described previously. Check settings occasionally.
- About 3 times / year, run SpinRite exhaustive disk diagnostic and / or
Linux long SMART test. Replace hard drive if showing bad sectors.
- Verify that Jungledisk online backup is running properly and recently
or force it to run.
- For this month, verify that swap file is working properly, since I've
been tinkering with it.
- Make a clone of the hard drive for backup.

I prefer not to work ON the computer, but WITH the computer, doing
things besides maintenance. However, when I'm working with it, I want it
to be rock solid, dependable, and trustworthy with my credit card data,
banking data, or tax data, etc. So, I try to do these procedures
periodically. I expect that I may have to add Anti-Virus in the future,
but not now. I'm also considering Lastpass for password tracking and
TrueCrypt whole drive encryption. I don't do a lot of documenting, other
than going through my checklist.

Sincerely,

Ron