[ale] Canonical makes Apple look so good... (but at least they aren't SUSE)

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 21:39:53 EST 2011

Like several others, I don't see much reason for all the fussing and
fuming and badmouthing over totally petty dispute that seems to
be pretty broadly misrepresented in these commentaries.

Overall, Ubuntu & Canonical have done a great deal of good for the
community by providing a cohesive branding and a visibility to
consumers that has always been sorely missing from the Linux world.
I think Mark Shuttleworth is sincere in his efforts to make Linux a
viable
consumer choice in the market and is generally respectful of the FLOSS
community principles, even though he may not fully understand how
to adhere to the accepted standards of practice for FLOSS development.
The community will educate him in time or Ubuntu will evolve into
something different.

Also, look at the up side....

At least Canonical is still a far cry from being as bad a sell out as
SUSE.

Much as I hate the mega-ego-maniacal Steve Jobs, emulating Apple's
proprietary schemes is still infinitely preferable to cutting deals
with Mafia$oft.

peace
aaron