[ale] Canonical makes Apple look so good...

Don Lachlan ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org
Thu Mar 10 14:22:53 EST 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Jerald Sheets <questy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting ongoing developments in Mark Shuttleworth's blog.
> I don't have a position, but not being a developer, this is all just
> fascinating to me:
> http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/654

Thanks, Jerald. That convinced me moreso to avoid the next release of Ubuntu. :/

Gah. This is resembling more and more the conflict between Canonical
and Debian, where Canonical wanted Debian to commit to hard release
deadlines. If you've ever waited on a stable Debian release, you know
the mantra is, "When it's ready." There are many developers who work
on both Ubuntu and Debian (likely far more than Ubuntu and GNOME), but
the community at large was opposed to Canonical's "request".
Accusations flew from Shuttleworth and many Canonical employees and
Ubuntu developers that look a lot like what's going on right now -
another project doesn't share the same objectives or choices as
Canonical, therefore it is wrong, the leaders are abusing their
positions and Canonical will be forced to pick up their ball and go
home, taking resources away from the other project.

In the end, the Debian project agreed to freeze on a hard deadline
(which I think is a good idea) and continue to release "When it's
ready" (also a good idea). But the accusations and ill will created
don't disappear immediately, if ever.

And now, a year and a half later, Canonical is swinging its stick and
saying that if a project doesn't agree with them and accept their
plans and vision and code, it's wrong. We owe no allegiance to
Shuttleworth or Canonical because they release GPL'd code; if they're
misbehaving, it doesn't matter what the license is.

(Disclaimer: I hate dealing with the GNOME project and desktop. If
anything here is misconstrued that I'm "on their side", you're a
moron.)

-Don