[ale] Canonical makes Apple look so good...

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Mar 7 20:36:43 EST 2011

On 03/07/2011 06:42 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> The complaint is not that Canonical is getting money from the music store.
>
> The complaint is that they have replaced Gnome as the recipient of 75%
> of that money.  They could do that since the payment collection system
> was opensource and canonical was able to change the payee line as it
> desired in the Ubuntu release.
>
> That's sort of like your employer mandating what bank you use and the
> bank charging you 75% to cash your paycheck.

I don't get this analogy.

Banshee has a plugin that users can use to buy digital music from Amazon.

Amazon has an affiliate program, whereby groups that refer sales to them
can get a cut of the sale. For digital music, this cut is 10%.

Canonical has put their affiliate code in the Banshee plugin. Thus for
every dollar you spend on digital music on amazon through Banshee,
Canonical will get $0.10, I think. Then Canonical will donate $0.025 of
that to GNOME and keep $0.075.

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts