[ale] [OT] Databases of viruses/malware

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Mar 2 20:38:06 EST 2011

On 03/02/2011 03:30 PM, Randy Ramsdell wrote:
> Ron Frazier wrote:
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> I'm not a virus expert, but here are some resources I've come across in
>> my reading and listening to virus related news over the years.
>>
> My god man, you really know that much about windows virus and cleaning
> methods.
>
> Short and simple.
> 1. Run AV software and choose to remove virus.

95% of all MS-Windows viruses, maybe more, can be cleaned by removing
the HDD from the problem system and connecting it to a different machine
with updated AV signatures and/or access to an online scanner. The key
is to take the running virus out of the running OS.  Only if that fails
would I rebuild the system from known good system images and restore
backups of critical data.