[ale] [OT] Databases of viruses/malware

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Wed Mar 2 15:12:08 EST 2011

Hi Mike,

I'm not a virus expert, but here are some resources I've come across in
my reading and listening to virus related news over the years.

Modern viruses can be very devious by design.  They dig their hooks into
a system so deep and are so crafty about coming back that many people in
the tech industry do not recommend trying to disinfect a computer.  The
preferred approach is to boot from a rescue cd, etc., backup the data,
format the hard drive, then restore from backups (if known to be good)
or reinstall the system then restore the data.  That's the only way you
can truly trust the hard drive again.  Questionable backups should be
destroyed.

I've never had a confirmed virus on my Windows system.  One time, I was
getting some suspicious results from a virus scanner, and did, in fact,
reformat and reinstall.  I operate with my defenses at a paranoid
level.  To the extent that it is possible for end users, that's one way
to protect them.  For example, I use the NoScript plugin with Firefox to
disallow all scripting unless I trust a site explicitly.  This almost
completely closes off one virus vector.  Even if I click on a bad link,
unless I've trusted the site, no script can run.  I also have javascript
turned off in the Adobe PDF reader.  Of course, this won't protect from
things like malformed JPG files, or phishing attacks where the user
actually allows an installation program to start.

In your case, I would boot something like an Acronis TrueImage or
Clonezilla CD and clone the infected computer's hard drive twice, once
for restoring data if needed, and once for playing with in a sandbox.  I
would mark both external drives physically as tainted.

Then, you may wish to boot a Linux CD on the infected computer and use
one of the online scanners below to scan the machine to try to identify
the virus.  You could attempt to remove it, but that may or may not
work.  Another option is to download and build one of the recovery CD's
from the AV makers and scan from that.  Once the virus is identified,
you can go about doing research on what it is and what it does.  It's
not a good idea to rely on scanning for the virus from the infected
system's installed AV software, as the virus may be able to mask its
presence if the infected OS is running.

These are some old bookmarks I dug up.  Some of the info may be a bit
dated.  I haven't used any of these recently.  However, I seem to
remember having luck with the ESET online scanner and the AVG recovery
CD.  If using an online scanner, it is preferable that it doesn't depend
on any system binary files to run, or depend on Internet explorer if
you're booting from a Linux CD.  I don't know if the ESET scanner will
run from a Linux boot CD or not.

Here are some links to AV recovery CD's:

http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd
http://techblog.avira.com/2010/12/07/improved-avira-antivir-rescue-system/en/
http://kb.bitdefender.com/site/article/627/
http://download.bitdefender.com/rescue_cd/
http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA-Labs/security-threats/tools/rescue-cd/

Here are some links to online scanners you could try:

http://www.f-secure.com/en_US/security/security-lab/tools-and-services/online-scanner/index.html
http://www.bitdefender.com/scanner/online/free.html
http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner

Once the virus is identified, you can try these databases to find out
more about it.  Most AV vendors keep a database, and sometimes the
viruses are named differently in each.  If one of the online scanners or
rescue CD's identifies the virus, you may wish to go to their website.

http://www.avg.com/us-en/virbase
http://home.mcafee.com/virusinfo/
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Threats.aspx?id=1
http://us.norton.com/security_response/threatexplorer/index.jsp

For general security and threat research, try these.  If you contact
them, they may be able to help you research specific threats.

http://www.us-cert.gov/current/
http://www.cert.org/cert/
http://www.sans.org/

I would recommend running Microsoft Security Essentials on all Windows
systems.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Finally, I used to work at a technical college in GA.  They used a
product called DeepFreeze on every computer.  Basically, it freezes the
system's main boot partition so that any changes made to it are
completely reversed when the system is rebooted.  So, if you get a
virus, or if a user vandalizes the system, just reboot, and it's gone.
You have to set up separate paratitions or shares for data storage.  You
also have to jump through some hoops to allow system updates, etc.
However, if you have control over the client's computers, this might be
a good option.

http://www.faronics.com/en/Products/DeepFreeze/DeepFreezeCorporate.aspx

That's all I can think of at the moment.  Hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Ron