[ale] [OT] laptop hinge broke! day going downhill!

Tue Mar 1 23:32:06 EST 2011

Google JB Weld. Use JB Weld.

On Feb 25, 2011 9:53 AM, "Ron Frazier" <atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com>
wrote:

After my unhappy experience with the LXDE install, before I went to bed
last night, one of the hinges on my laptop lid broke!  This day is
rapidly going downhill.  I am now literally holding the thing together
with tape.  At the moment, the display still works, but I know it's days
are numbered.

I need to know if anyone has a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop that is
functional.  I don't care about the hard drive, DVD drive, and battery,
since I intend to swap those out if needed.  If all those things work,
that's great, but not required.  It does need to be the same model
number though, and the lid / hinge / display system needs to work.  I
may have to delegate this system to permanent desktop duty.

<RANT ON>

I have owned 3 laptops, and I don't abuse them.  Every one has broken in
some way.

IBM Thinkpad, Windows 98 originally, power connector broke.  Took 3
hours to disassemble the PC, re-solder it, and reassemble.  Works now,
but is very slow.  (CPU is Pentium I, 300 MHz)

Toshiba Satellite, Windows XP originally, laptop hinge broke, display
always dark but text is there, computer works fine, now a permanent
desktop machine.

Dell Inspiron 1525, Vista originally, see above.  The hinge was attached
to the flange of the display screen, a very flimsy piece of metal only a
couple of thousandths of an inch thick.  Counting leverage, there were
probably 30 lbs of force on that little flange.  In my opinion, very bad
design.

This is VERY frustrating!  I keep having to buy new equipment to replace
stuff that works due to cheap crummy mechanical parts.

<RANT OFF>

OK, I feel somewhat better now.

Sincerely,

Ron