[ale] ubuntu create another user and remove old user

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Mar 1 09:00:03 EST 2011

If you just want to change the username, edit the /etc/passwd,
/etc/shadow, and /etc/sudoers files and rename devpid --> devuser.  This
will keep the UID the same and all file ownership will be displayed with
the new username too. On your specific system, there may be other places
where the old username is used inside configurations too - do a little
searching and make a backup.

May not be what you want, but it is an option.

As to giving sudo access to different users - did you look at the sudo
man page?  See also "sudoers"  The man page is pretty good. Check out
the groups and put any users into a group (either sudo specific or you
may use the system-based groups). Again, the man pages are really useful.

One of the important risks to using sudo is if you allow unlimited
access - especially to devs.  Most editors will let you drop to a shell,
so if you let them have access to 'vi' as root, you've effectively given
all those users root on the machine. Bad admin.  Service accounts are
great, but you probably don't want any end users having access to them
or sharing any accounts on a system. Shared accounts are clearly not a
"best security practice."