[ale] HP Network Printer Issue

Eugene Poole etpoole60 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 29 20:00:42 EDT 2011

I'm running CentOS 5.3 x86_64 on one of my main machines (VMware Server
works without issue).  And I wanted to install CentOS 5.6 x86_64 on
another machine.  However I need to be able to print to my network
printer, so I wrote the following to the CnetOS User mail list:

        I'm attempting to install and configure HPLIP (HP Linux Imaging and
        Printing) software on my CentOS 5.3 x86_64 system without success. I've
        got a HP Officejet Pro 8500 multi-function printer connected via ethernet.
        I'm getting a message saying that it cannot locate the libcups module in
        the /usr/lib64 and /usr/lib directories.  However, I can locate then
        correct modules using the find command.  I can print to this printer using
        multiple versions of Fedora and multiple versions of Windows.
        Does anyone have any suggestions why it is not working?

However, I haven't gotten a response from anyone on that list, so I
thought...

TIA
Gene