[ale] GIF vs. PNG vs. MNG vs. JS (was LightScribe for Linux)

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Tue Jun 28 19:21:09 EDT 2011

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 18:58:16 -0400
"Michael B. Trausch" <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 18:05 -0400, Pat Regan wrote:
> > I don't know about PNGs being "far" superior to GIFs.  If it weren't
> > for animated GIF files I wouldn't have been able to create a
> > spinning version of my head 10 years ago!
> >
> > http://patshead.com/images/mediumhead.gif
>
> There is a variant of the PNG container format called MNG that can do
> animation.
>
> Even better, you can have both PNG and JPEG frames in it.

My spinning head, the accompanying domain name, and website predate the
MNG specification by a few months, though.  I remember being excited
about the idea of converting to MNG, but by the time there was any
browser support the idea wasn't on my radar any longer.

I've very recently thought about updating the spinning head with some
fancy javascript.  Have you ever seen the Mario Galaxy games on the
Wii?  Your save game icon is a planet in the shape of your Mii head and
it spins slowly.  If you ware the Wii remote pointer past the planet it
spins in that direction, and it spins faster the more times (and the
faster) you do it.  I'm tempted to do the same thing, but I'll probably
never get around to it.

Pat