[ale] LightScribe for Linux

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 15:33:04 EDT 2011

On 2011/06/28, at 13:07 , Michael Trausch wrote:
> You can set the DPI in the GIMP, too. At image creation time is the
> best bet.
>
> Any time I create images in the GIMP, I create them at 600 dpi. I
> will crop
>
> and/or scale down as necessary for the final product.

Unfortunately, the DPI setting is only a reference number when working
with bitmap images.  It doesn't in any way force the pixel counts of an
image to conform to that resolution.  In electronic bit map graphics,
pixel
count is the ONLY relevant measure of actual resolution. if you want
your final output to print at best possible resolution for 600 dpi on an
8.5x11 sheet of paper, the pixel count of your source image needs to
be 5100 by 6600 pixels.

And then you output it as a TIF file or some other lossless format
so don't lose resolution to compression artifacts.

peace
aaron
> I always save as xcf
>
> (native GIMP format) for the original, and only ever save things as
>
> png/gif/jpeg/whatever when I am exporting a final graphic.

PNG's deflate is a lossless compression.  PNG images
are widely supported in web clients where TIF is more of a
working and widely supported interchange format for image
editing programs.  PNG supports both full depth per pixel
to 48 bits or can use a 256 indexed palette mode (like GIF).

GIF is extremely limited in color range as it _only_ supports
8 bit indexed colors  (a palette of 256 colors from 16 million)

JPEG is a lossy compression format, with some loss seen
even at its highest quality / lowest compression settings. Like
PNG, though, it is widely supported in web applications and
is usually the best choice for photographic images on the net.

I know this info upside down and inside out, but I checked
it with wikipedia just the same...
<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/PNG_format#Compression>

peace
aaron