[ale] dialing on Android and driving will kill you and others.

George Allen glallen01 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 09:01:32 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> And your observations are the base for my fervent desire to have either
> steering wheels removed and cars run on a track or driver isolated from
> non-drivers both visually and auditorily (and probably olfactorily as well).

I can't find a reference now, but a few years back I saw this article
on a highway-car-hive concept at a Japanese carshow. Basically, once
the world has only 'smart' cars, they enter the highway and each would
talk to its nearest neighbors over RF. While the driver sits back to
relax, the car would take over. It would communicate its destination
exit to its neighbors, match speed, and arrange itself in a convoy for
optimal speed, safety, etc. IE - cars in near exits would drop to the
exit lane and warn the driver to take over. Cars going further would
stay in faster lanes depending on how far. All cars would maintain
equal speed and spacing, thus preventing traffic jams. Merging is
automatically done by algorithms communicating requirements upstream
so the convoy can pre-adjust spacing. Imagine the difference for
85/75...

Of course -- people used to be able to do this too, when they were
smart enough to learn how to use the rules, brakes and turn signals in
addition to the gas, wheel and horn.