[ale] teleport vs cd

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 22:14:43 EDT 2011

On 2011/06/27, at 18:23 , JD wrote:

> On 06/27/2011 06:04 PM, Shawn wrote:
>> I think I am in love.
>>
>> http://www.devdaily.com/linux/linux-teleport-command-cd-improved
>>

> Along the same line ...
>
> CDPATH is a nice environment setting for most shells that helps in a
> similar way, though not as complete and without any history. The
> directories listed are searched first, in order for matching
> subdirectories to filling for the 'cd' command.  Basically, it makes
> your standard 'cd' smarter ... sometimes. Sometimes you get 'cd'ed to
> places you didn't intent too. ;)
>
> Check the bash, tcsh, csh man pages for more. I know it works in those
> shells (and maybe others).
>
> pushd and popd are pretty handy too. An alias with 'pd' that pushes or
> pops directories when there is or isn't an argument is handy too.
> This
> assumes you won't/can't just open another terminal.

I really like the thinking behind the teleport tp command.
And it's all done as a bash script, so hard to get much more
portable and easy to install than that!

As it stands in the Mac BSD environment I don't even have
pushcd and popcd.  The default shell is bash though, so I'm
anxious to give this cool little script a try!   I'm not finding any
reports of people trying it on Mac yet -- my own experience
is that the *nix command set isn't as deep as on Linux, so
I'll report back or success or difficulties...

peace
aaron