[ale] [Slightly OT] Laptop Recommendations/Warnings

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Sat Jun 25 12:00:49 EDT 2011

David,

I've owned 3 laptops which might be considered modern.  I'll share my
thoughts on each.

IBM Thinkpad (not Lenovo), 1998 vintage, 160 MB ram max, Pentium 1, 300 MHz
    This is now too old and slow to be useful, although it will run
Lubuntu very sluggishly.  At the time, though, I really liked it.
Construction seemed really solid.  It had a nice keyboard and decent
sounding speakers.  (Almost no laptop has exceptional sounding or loud
speakers.)  I have no experience with Lenovo.  I did have to take the
system apart once and resolder the power connector.  I got it back
together, but it was not a fun experience.  The hinges on this laptop
never broke.

Toshiba Satellite, 2002 vintage, 512 MB ram upgraded to 1 GB, Pentium 4,
2.4 GHz
    I really liked this machine for along time.  Laptop lid hinges seem
to be a weak point in all of them, and they broke on this unit years ago
and disabled the display.  I have been using it up until last month with
an externally attached monitor.  It's been running Windows XP with all
the latest patches and dual booting Ubuntu 10.04 with no problem at
all.  They keyboard was good but not as good as the old IBM.  This unit
also had pretty decent sounding speakers.

Dell Inspiron 1525, 2009 vintage, 2 GB ram upgraded to 4 GB, Pentium
Dual CPU, 1.7 GHz, 64 bit
    This has been my favorite computer for some time and my "go to"
machine for anything I had to do which was mobile.  It has a pretty good
keyboard, similar to the Toshiba, but still not as good as the old IBM.
It has OK sounding speakers, but not as good as the IBM or Toshiba.  A
few months ago, one of the laptop lid hinges broke.  Sound familiar.  I
tried to keep using it by taping the lid with gorilla tape.  Then, a
couple of weeks ago, the 2nd hinge broke.  At the moment, the display
still works, but I've relegated the system to desktop duty only where
it's never moved lest I break that display too.  This is EXTREMELY
annoying, as the machine was working fine in all other respects.  It's
been happily dual booting Windows Vista and Ubuntu 10.04.  It has a 64
bit CPU, so I think I'm running 64 bit Ubuntu.  Sometimes, it's hard to
keep track.

Asus K52F, 3 GB ram, Pentium Dual CPU, 2.13 GHz, 64 bit
    This is the one I got to replace the Dell, since I do need mobile
operation.  I was definitely on a budget, and didn't want to get another
machine at all.  I got this demo unit from Best Buy, unused and unsold
to a customer, for only $ 300.  The sale price that weekend was $ 380 if
it had been in the box.  I've only had it for two weeks, so I cannot
speak to longevity.  I REALLY hope the display hinges don' break, but
only time will tell.  So far, I'm impressed.  I took the extra $ 80 I
saved and bought the 2 year in store replacement warranty.  The machine
has a 15" screen, HDMI and VGA out, 3 USB connectors, memory card slot,
LAN port, 500 GB HDD (hybrid SSD I think), a DVD RW drive, wifi, and
comes with Windows 7.  Windows 7 runs more snappily in 3 GB than Windows
Vista did in 4 GB.  I've repartitioned the HDD and am now dual booting
with Ubuntu 10.04 and that runs fine too.

They do cut a few corners.  They keyboard is not as good as any of the
other machines I've had, but I think I can deal with it.  The spacing is
fine.  But the keys don't travel as far down and make slightly more
noise.  The sound system is Altec Lansing, a well respected name.  If
you're right in front of the machine, and the lid is open, and the room
is quiet, it sounds pretty good.  If you're running with the lid closed
and an external monitor, or if you're not very close, it's not loud
enough to be usable.  There are no firewire, esata, svideo, parallel,
serial ports, or modem ports, and no PCMCIA or CardBus card slots.  BIOS
options are somewhat limited, but you can put a password on the HDD,
boot up, and setup.  Overall, it seems like a pretty good machine for
the money.

I would say look for big beefy hinges where arms go from the lid to the
base.  However, the Best Buy guy said only the Sony's over $1000 don't
have much hinge problems.  I have no experience with Sony laptops.  To
me, it totally stinks for a $ 1 piece of garbage hinge mounting plate,
made of plastic, to disable a multi hundred dollar machine.

If it's important to you, test the keyboard and sound system first.

Almost all the laptops in retail stores have shiny / glossy screens.  I,
for one, am not a fan of these, but I didn't have the budget to custom
order a machine from Dell, etc. with a matte screen.

One other weak point many laptops have is the cooling system.  Many
times, the fan intake is right on the bottom.  If you set it on your
lap, or on a bed, it will be blocked.  I've really had to watch this on
my Toshiba and my Dell.  These intakes can easily get clogged with very
fine dust and lint.  See my other response to a "laptop overheating"
thread for more details on a bad experience I had.  You have to check
these intakes periodically and not set them on a soft surface.  I put
wedding ribbon over mine to stop the dust.  It's a good idea to run
SpeedFan in Windows or LM Sensors or something similar in Linux to
monitor your CPU temperatures.  As I mentioned in the other thread, you
cannot assume every CPU can take the same maximum temperature.  They're
all different.  The air intakes on the ASUS are partly on the bottom,
but also appear to be at other points on the case, so maybe the problem
won't be as bad.

Hope this info helps.

Sincerely,

Ron