[ale] Electric bill

Drifter drifter at oppositelock.org
Sat Jun 25 09:48:55 EDT 2011

I would urge one and all to stay away -- FAR away -- from Ga. Power's
"Budget Billing service." The company, in cahoots with the <insert
adjective of choice> Public Service Commission has rigged this "feature"
to steal your money.  The annual contract specifies in the fine print that
if the company over estimates the charges, they KEEP your money.  You
don't get it back!  Which means, of course, that they have a HUGE
incentive to over estimate your electric bill.  I discovered this painful
fact when they offered to reduce our monthly payment by more than 20% after
the first year in our current house.  So I went back and totaled up the
previous 12 bills and discovered that we had overpaid by nearly $300.
When I asked for the money back, I was told, "Sorry, Charlie; the contract
says we keep it."

BUT . . . You can do the math yourself and not waste your money.  Ga.
Power is perfectly willing to let you overpay your monthly bill most of
the year to build up a credit pool to apply to the summer months.  That's
what we are doing now and it is working well.

Sean