[ale] OT - Best Auto GPS

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Fri Jun 24 19:57:08 EDT 2011

I know this thread is a bit old, but I thought I'd share some info.  I'm
pretty sure the device runs Linux under the covers.

I have 1 day worth of experience with a Garmin Nuvi, don't remember the
model.  I bought it a year ago then started rummaging through the
menus.  I have a hand held Garmin, and it allows for setting up an
itinerary or route with preselected waypoints.  You can then save and
reuse the route later.  With the Nuvi I tried, you couldn't do that, so
I immediately returned it.  I cannot speak to the other features of that
unit.  The TomTom will let you save and recall routes.

I then bought a TomTom XXL IQ unit with a 5" display.  Places like
Staples and maybe Best Buy put these things on sale periodically,
usually around Holidays.  I got about $100 off the normal price of mine.
   I totally love it.  Here are some thoughts on the topic.

You mentioned ease of use.  I find the unit itself pretty easy to use.
However, it has many features.  To get the most out of it, a bit of
training or reading is in order.  The best way is from another user.

To do updates, you have to run the TomTom software on a Windows machine,
connect to the internet, connect the device, login to an account you've
created, and request updates.  Other than that, it's pretty automatic.
Just how easy that is depends on your perspective.  You do have to have
some computer savvy, or have someone do it for you.  I've generally had
good success with updates.  However, I recently had a problem where the
updated software for the GPS crashed it, and it wouldn't navigate.  It
would only show the map.  They only let you back up the device once, and
each other backup overwrites the original one.  Therefore, I recommend
A) update the software when needed, B) thoroughly test the device, then
C) backup the device.  I think map updates cost about $40 for a 1 year
subscription.  It's a good idea to update the maps before a major trip.
Updating the map involves logging into your account, purchasing the map
update with your credit card, then running the updater software.  Again,
it requires some computer savvy.

You already mentioned display size.  Go with 5" or bigger.  I think 5"
is a good size.  Four reasons.  A) easier to read, B) screen can have
more data if desired, C) easier to touch menu options, and D) easier to
enter street names etc. on the on screen keyboard.

I think someone else mentioned when this thread originally appeared that
the computer generated voice can announce road names (within the limits
of it's reading ability).  The recorded human voice sounds much better,
but cannot read road names.  In that case, she'll say something like "in
1/2 mile, turn right" and then, when you get closer, she'll say "turn
right".  In that case, you can look at a large number on the screen
which says how far to the next direction change.  When it's under 100
yards, you know something is about to happen.  Also, if the options are
set right, the upper right of the screen will say the name of the next
road to turn on.

The TomTom has a good strong speaker, which, if turned up, can talk loud
enough to overcome most road noise.  I believe it can adjust volume
based on speed, but I don't use that feature.

The TomTom can dim the screen and change colors automatically at night.

You can navigate based on a database of Points of Interest, which
contains many popular hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions, etc.
You can also navigate to a specific address, specific point on the map,
or a specific city.  My favorite method is to use stored waypoints.  For
example, once I make it to an ALE meeting once, I store a waypoint
there, at the current location of my car.  Then, the next time I want to
go there, I just select navigate to, waypoint (they call it favorite),
ALE Meeting; and, boom, it takes me right there.  If you've never been
somewhere, you can store a waypoint based on a picture of the map to get
you close, then refine it later.

The system has a safety lock which removes many menu options on the
screen when the car is moving.  You can disable it, but I wouldn't
recommend it.  There is also a quick launch button on the screen, which
you can customize to some extent.  Once you hit that button, you can
have up to 6 menu options, chosen from a preset list, that you can
access with only one more touch.  On mine, I can do such things as mute
the sound, switch from day / night colors, and report map corrections.

Speaking of corrections, the system allows all users to report map
errors.  When you update it, the errors are reported to headquarters.
After they're vetted, the corrections are sent out to all users.  It's
pretty cool.  The system has a database of traffic cameras, which can
warn you when you're approaching one.  Users can help update that
database too.

The main flaw in the package for this TomTom device is the mounting
bracket.  I found out how crummy it is when it dropped off of the window
a few times.  A bit of Googling confirmed that other users had similar
experiences.  I would recommend immediately getting a beefier suction
cup mount or something else.  I prefer to have mine mounted to a rubber
pad sitting on the dash rather than on the window.  Such a mount may
come flying off the dash if you rapidly accelerate while going up a
steep hill.  Otherwise, it's pretty stable and takes up less window real
estate.  Write me privately if interested in some mounting options.

That pretty much summarizes my TomTom experience.  I wholeheartedly
recommend them.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 4/19/2011 12:46 PM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:

> My neighbors who are senior citizens are considering getting a GPS for
> their car and have asked if I'd be willing to help them pick one.
>
> Since my own GPS is a factory installed in-dash one I don't have any
> opinions on the ones that one buys and would like some.   Of course I
> know that Garmin and others exists but not much more than that.
>
> From things I know and I've heard I'm thinking some of what would be
> necessary:
>
> 1) Easy to use -- These people aren't technical.    It needs to be
> easy to input destinations and also easy to get updates loaded.
>
> 2) Large display and/or audible turn information -- I don't really
> know how good their eyesight is but given that they're older I'm
> thinking this would be helpful.
>
> 3) Reasonable price for updates.
>
> Of course any other factors one cares to mention would be welcome.
>
> Proud partner. Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

Ron Frazier

770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT c3energy.com