[ale] Ubuntu recommendations

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Fri Jun 24 15:49:42 EDT 2011

This thread's a bit old but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.  The guys
over at the Going Linux podcast http://www.goinglinux.com/ seem to say,
from accounts from listeners, to not do upgrades.  There is obviously a
debate, and people have different experiences.  I was running another
version of Ubuntu a while back, which I think was 9.04.  I tried to
upgrade to the next version and something that I needed broke.  At the
time, I wasn't using it much so I just went back to Windows since I dual
boot all my machines.  Later, I installed Ubuntu 10.04 with a fresh
install by wiping out the Linux partition and am still using it.  I've
noticed the upgrade to 10.10 prompt but haven't bitten the hook.  If you
adopt the "never upgrade" philosophy, then you'll be doing fresh
installs every 6 months unless you use the LTS releases.  For me, fresh
installs, regardless of being Windows or Linux, are very tedious,
because there are many dozens of little settings and tweaks to the
system that I do, plus installing user apps, that take about a week to
get through.  I don't like doing them.  So, for now, I'm still with
10.04.  There are two other reasons I'm not upgrading.  Firefox 4, which
broke almost all my nice status bar apps when I installed it on Windows,
so I immediately reverted back to the older version.  Then, there's also
Unity, which I ranted about before.

Sincerely,

Ron