[ale] linux for an old compaq

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Thu Jun 23 09:32:14 EDT 2011

I'm currently running Ubuntu 10.04 on my machines.  I've run it
successfully on an old Toshiba laptop vintage 2002 with a Pentium 4 chip
(I believe) and 1 GB of RAM.  I tried Lubuntu briefly on an even older
IBM Thinkpad, which (I believe) has a Pentium 1 processor.  I rarely use
it.  That machine is maxed out at 160 MB of ram.  I put Lubuntu on it
just for kicks to test it.  Lubuntu with the graphical interface runs,
but very slowly.  I think this page is the same one others were
referencing re the Compaq.
http://home.comcast.net/~egkenny/files/Compaq_Presario_1675_Notebook.html
That says it has an AMD K6-2 CPU at 380 Mhz and a maximum of 192 MB of
memory.  Crucial, or someone like them, might have the memory expansion,
which I would definitely put in.  It sounds like it's similar in power
to my old IBM, although that thing only has an 800 X 600 screen and the
Compaq has a 1024 X 768 screen.  I would think this would run Lubuntu
somewhat better than my old IBM.  It would probably run the alternate
install of Ubuntu, without the GUI, pretty well.  I checked
http://lubuntu.net, but I couldn't find their minimum specs.  As a side
note, I just got my hands on a demo unit of an Asus laptop, unused and
unsold, at Best Buy.  It has a dual core Intel chip at 2 GHz and 3 GB
RAM and a 500 GB hard drive.  And, it cost only $ 300 plus tax.  The
reason I bring it up is that, with these low prices, it's something to
consider before spending hundreds of dollars upgrading an old machine.

Anyway, if you'd like to try Lubuntu, I have ISO's for their installs
back to 10.04.  I don't know where their mirror sites are for old
ISO's.  I have ISO's for Ubuntu all the way back to their first release
in 2006, I believe.  Of course, those old ones aren't patched any more.
I also have a list of Ubuntu mirror sites in case their automatic
download redirector fails you.

Sincerely,

Ron