[ale] ranting about new Ubuntu UI

mute wonder mutewonder at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 22:01:34 EDT 2011

Me?  Officially liking the Unity interface as available on the 11.04
release.  I was so impressed that I squeezed some more room on the netbook
from that craptacular Win7starter and installed it.

Screenspace efficiency is great for smaller screens, like on my 10"
netbook.  I previously had Ubuntu 10.04 on that machine, and spent a bit of
time futzing with gconf and individual program settings to minimize UI
elements, to recover the precious screenspace.  I like 10.04 (netbook remix)
splashing the whole application menu on the desktop with Mutter, and am
impressed by 11.04's improved accessibility.

Y'all are so full of hate.  There are plenty of alternative desktop
environments if you don't like or hardware can't handle Unity, so why the
stomping and braying about having no other options?

I don't like everything about it.  I wouldn't like Unity on a bigger
screen.  If I had a 20"+ monitor, I would want everything showing at once,
and Unity emphasizes "invisible-until-used". Also, for a UI intended for
tablets, why increase the number of mouse clicks needed to browse through to
any program?  I don't have a tablet, so am I missing something there?
Keyboard shortcuts are awesome and all, but isn't it difficult to type on
those tablets?  And I don't like my main application menu abbreviating the
list of actually installed applications in favor of all the stuff currently
not installed on my system.  The menu becomes cluttered, programs are more
difficult to find, and people put all kinds of things in the repo that I'm
not interested in perusing daily/hourly.

Anyway, just wanted to throw my 2cents out there.

-mute