[ale] ranting about new Ubuntu UI

Don Kramer donkramer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 15:51:49 EDT 2011

I know Ubuntu 11.10 Alpha 1 released 6/2 is Gnome 3 with the Unity
shell (not Gnome shell) ... which is where Ubuntu 11.10 is heading.
Therefore won't Ubuntu 12.04 LTS be Gnome 3/Unity?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-11-10-Alpha-1-Has-GNOME-3-Firefox-5-Linux-Kernel-2-6-39-203976.shtml

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 12:54 -0400, brock at quantifier.org wrote:
>> I saw that one, too, though I thought it was unique to the netbook
>> installation.  You can install the gnome desktop by doing:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
>>
>> and then choose gnome at your little splash screen.  I liked that
>> funny
>> large icon on the left thing on my little asus, but otherwise, I got
>> rid
>> of it.
>
> You could install a subset of the GNOME desktop by installing
> ubuntu-desktop on previous releases, yes.
>
> You might simply have to install the gnome metapackage to make that
> happen now.  Not sure.
>
> But one thing is for sure: Canonical says that the official distribution
> will not support the GNOME user interface as of the next LTS release.
> Bad idea, IMHO.  Whether or not they will have GNOME 3 available is up
> in the air, and whether it will actually work or not is also up on the
> air.
>
>        --- Mike

Don Kramer
donkramer at gmail.com - email / 404-213-7738 - cell