[ale] ranting about new Ubuntu UI

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Mon Jun 20 22:40:06 EDT 2011

Pat,

OK, I see your point.  I will say that my Dad, 73 years old but in good
health, mastered these basic controls with only minimal training a few
years ago and with only a few weeks of experience.  However, if, for
whatever reason, a user that needs a simpler tablet or kiosk interface,
then the designers could just give me, the installer, a choice as to
which to use when I install; AND give me a menu option somewhere so I
can switch back and forth at any time.  That way, when I work on the
computer to do maintenance, I could have a more functional and usable
system; and when the user is using it, they could have a simpler
system.  Even better, have the UI selectable per user and switchable
WITH ONE CLICK back and forth at any time.  The live CD could have
buttons to TRY WITH UNITY UI, TRY WITH GNOME 3, and TRY WITH GNOME 2,
with a description of each.  I would have no problem with that.

Sincerely,

Ron