[ale] Bad Hard Drive

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 12:37:53 EDT 2011

Yeah, I forgot to mention the primary/secondary stupid mess. Some chipsets
have a primary and secondary port. So primary 2 is after primary 1, then
secondary 1 is before secondary 2 (carryover from the primary and secondary
IDE drives). I think with those chipsets, the data bus is shared between the
primary and secondary just like on the old IDE gear. So access the secondary
drive on a bus line will impact performance of the primary drive.

Server systems I use have only primary drives (except for some HP systems
who added in the secondary ports that supermicro just leaves off).

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Gene Poole <gene.poole at macys.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure who is right or wrong on how the drives are sequenced.  But, I
> looked at my machine attempting to figure out what drive should be replaced
> and between what's on the mother board and what's being displayed I get the
> following:
>
> The mother board (MSI) has 6 SATA ports; 4 standard ports (labeled 1, 2, 3,
> 4 on the mother board) and 2 'special' SATA ports for a raid configuration,
> but for windows only and not being used.
> The boot display gives me:
> Port 1 : SATA1
> Port 2 : SATA3
> Port 3 : SATA2
> Port 4 : SATA4
> As near as I can figure out, the fdisk -l command lists them as:
> SATA1 : /dev/sda
> SATA3 : /dev/sdc
> SATA2 : /dev/sdb
> SATA4 : /dev/sdd
> My error message states that the /dev/sdb drive is bad. WEBMIN gives me the
> drive (Seagate) and the model  number and serial number of the drive.  I
> didn't get all four drives from the same vendor, sda and sdb are from
> Seagate; sdc and sdd are from Hitachi.  I think I'll get a WD or Samsung
> going forward.
>
> Thanks,
> Gene Poole

James P. Kinney III