[ale] Bad Hard Drive

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 16:38:02 EDT 2011

Sort of but not quite all correct. The hard drive chain was not changed
totally. Non-deterministic for pci-bus devices but still traceable with
lspci. Always non-d for usb (pita)

Hard drives follow a specific pattern:

BIOS spills data to sys about drive locations. Bus num followed by device
num. That doesn't change 'cause it can't.

If a new drive is inserted at a lower bus num  than other drives, it gets
called sda. Move the drive in socket 0 to socket 5 and it now is called sdf.

But so what?! Most distros use UUID anyway so you can move your drives
around between boots and it'll still work as long as the BIOS knows where
the /boot drive is. Cool thing is error messages will reflect the current
configuration.

So if the bad drive is moved from sdb to sdf, on reboot the error will
reflect the bad drive is sdf.

So as long as drives stay plugged in the same, detection will be
deterministic but the name is not. Remember, empty sockets 0-5 and a single
drive in 5 will be called sda.

Thus by looking for the next to lowest numbered drive will reveal sdb, the
failed drive in the OP. :-)

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 4:25 PM, Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> Not always; it depends on a multitude of factors, as well as whether or not
> udev was programmed with appropriate rules by the distributors or SA to do
> things sanely. The Linux kernel stopped guaranteeing deterministic device
> enumeration years ago.
>
> --
> Sent from my phone... a G2 running CM7 nightlies!
> On Jun 16, 2011 11:23 AM, "Jim Kinney" <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> > it will be the second drive in the chain. Sata ports are numbered on the
> > mobo so what is sda will be the lowest numbered connected sata port thus
> sdb
> > will be the second lowest sata port.
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Gene Poole <gene.poole at macys.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> All,
> >>
> >> I'm running CentOS 5.3 on a box that has 4 - 1 TB hard drives in 2 -
> Raid 1
> >> configurations. It's telling me that one of the drives has gone bad.
> When I
> >> built the raid 1, I built it where the paired drives is sda | sdc and
> sdb |
> >> sdd. The messages tell me that ata2 is bad and I get messages saying
> sdb1,
> >> and sdb8 is bad.
> >>
> >> My question is - How do I determine what drive on what port should be
> >> replaced?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Gene Poole

> > --
> > --
> > James P. Kinney III
> >
> > As long as the general population is passive, apathetic, diverted to
> > consumerism or hatred of the vulnerable, then the powerful can do as they
> > please, and those who survive will be left to contemplate the outcome.
> > - *2011 Noam Chomsky*

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky*