[ale] odd email issue

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Jun 15 13:45:46 EDT 2011

I don't know how much help I can be, but ...

'date|mail user at domain'

is trusting the $PATH. This is never a good idea in scripts.

/bin/date |/usr/bin/mail user\@domain

would be better and limit the environment a little more.
Also, in bash, you may need to escape the '@' with a \@.
On servers, /bin/sh for root may point to /bin/dash, not bash, leading
to other, unexpected behaviors.

Probably nothing you don't already know and understand. If I were
troubleshooting this, I'd put everything into a script file, turn up
messages and look for the differences between each uid.  Cron definitely
doesn't bring the expected environment with it. It never has.