[ale] Virtualization recommendations

Kaerka Phillips kbphillips80 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 18:46:51 EDT 2011

In my two cents - I think you should use either Ubuntu or Fedora with KVM
and Virt-manager or AQEMU with KVM or old-QEMU, as I think KVM is a superior
hypervisor model compared to Xen or something like vmware.  If nothing else
that Xen, while not dead, does seem to be going more "away" from mainstream
Linux, although many cloud providers are currently using it as their base
hypervisor.  VMWare isn't bad, but in order to get the same level of
functionality that KVM provides, you'd likely need a licensed version rather
than their free player.

Kaerka

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Crawford Rainwater <
crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com> wrote:

> Greg:
>
> I would recommend KVM on Ubuntu 10.04LTS.  There is some nice documentation
> on getting the host system going as well as configuration files in place.
>  However, I will also warn it is more CLI oriented than GUI unless you use
> something like virt-manager or similar.
>
> The Ubuntu documentation can be found at
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM
>
> which should get you started.  As for FreeNAS and Asterisk, that is another
> thread for discussion with others. ;-)
>
> HTH and FWIW.  Also to note I receive the ALE email list in Digest format,
> so pardon any delays in responding in advance.
>
> --- Crawford
>
> The Linux ETC Company
> 10121 Yates Court
> Westminster, CO 80031 USA
> voice:  +1.303.604.2550
> web:    http://www.linux-etc.com
>
> ----- Greg Clifton <gccfof5 at gmail.com> wrote: -----
> >
> > Along the lines of John Heim's OP, I am also interested in "dipping my
> > toe"
> > into virtualization for the first time. I have a Dell SC440 system
> > with
> > Core2Duo CPU, so I have hardware virt support. What I would like to do
> > is
> > set up a NAS with FreeNAS and a PBXIF Asterisk instances on this
> > machine. My
> > question is should I use KVM, ZEN, ProxMox, etc? What is easiest to
> > set
> > up/administer? What is most reliable? Recommendations appreciated.
> >
> > Greg Clifton

Kaerka Phillips
kbphillips80 at gmail.com