[ale] hijacked threads are bad etiquette

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 11:04:29 EDT 2011

I have read many studies that all seem to point out the need for visual cues
in human communication. Email does not provide that. So on a mailing list we
all become somewhat afflicted with Aspergers Syndrome (a part of the autism
spectrum).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Rich Faulkner <rfaulkner at 34thprs.org>wrote:

> Wow.  I don't get it.  When we meet it's all good but when we're online
> it's a whole nuther story.  Go fig.  So much in common that we come here
> (ALE) but so far apart that we cannot read beyond our own anger in
> posted messages to and fro?
>
> I for one applaud what you're doing!
>

> Rich Faulkner
>

> On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 08:39 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > For those that are either too young to understand or too old to
> > remember or too socially-inept to care, it is considered very poor
> > etiquette to change the topic in a discussion thread without changing
> > the subject line. Most people understand that topics drift but a shift
> > from cool picture to horrid health care crosses many boundaries that
> > should never be crossed.
> >
> > So let's all play in the sandbox nicely together without throwing toys
> > and sand at everyone else.
> >
> > Anyone who hijacks another thread with politics, religion or economics
> > will be moderated with no further notice. This is not the place so
> > take it somewhere else.
> >

> > --
> > --
> > James P. Kinney III
> >
> > As long as the general population is passive, apathetic, diverted to
> > consumerism or hatred of the vulnerable, then the powerful can do as
> > they please, and those who survive will be left to contemplate the
> > outcome.
> > - 2011 Noam Chomsky

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky*