[ale] WiThings Scale, Linux Friendly!

Omar Chanouha ofosho at gatech.edu
Mon Jun 6 21:28:50 EDT 2011

    I just bought a WiThings scale: http://www.withings.com/. I took
it out of the box and the instruction manual was just a sticker
telling me to go to a website. I did and as soon as I got there the
site told me I needed to plug my scale in and install the software. I
thought, here we go, how many hoops am I going to have to jump through
now. I looked at the link and it said click to download for Linux
x86_64. I thought no way, can't be. I download the file and the
instructions that pop up (one image) is for a mac. I quickly realize
it is a bin, chmod +x and run with sudo (not really beginner friendly,
but whatever). A GUI pops up, asks me to select my network, I do, it
connects, and the website says "Congrats your connected". Jaw dropped,
too easy, can't be. I run linux 64 bit, I need to earn these things. I
step on the scale, within 1 min I have a data point on my graph.

    Anyway, just had to share that. Not only do they have a linux app,
but a linux 64 bit app! I know it isn't the most complicated app, but
whatever, I appreciate the effort and just had to give them the tip of
the hat. Nothing but love for WiThings so far. Hopefully other
companies will follow suit.

-O