[ale] Hey Shapiro! New use for that 3D printer!

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 14:20:43 EDT 2011

Pete Hardie wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 13:52, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://www.boingboing.net/2011/06/02/3d-model-for-reprodu.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+boingboing%2FiBag+%28Boing+Boing%29
>>

>> Next step is to create the ability to devise a printed key from a digital
>> image of the existing key.
>

> Already done - Slashdot had a piece about a project that could make
> keys from a photo of them

oh, I haven't seen that.  I wonder if it's like photofly from Autodesk:

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/photo_scene_editor/

Highlights:

Allows anyone with a digital camera to create near accurate 3D models
from photographs using the web.

Utilizes common point and shoot digital cameras.

Harnesses the power of cloud computing to translate photos into detailed
3D models.

3D models can be manipulated by design software (e.g., AutoCAD,
Inventor, 123D).