[ale] Get host's IP address as an unprivileged user?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 6 10:26:12 EDT 2011

James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> writes:

> No real reason other just not wanting to.

Ah, so just being stubborn instead of some real technical reason.
Gotcha!  ;-)

Personally I see very little reason for some of the separation between
/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, and /usr/sbin.  And there's no point to *not*
have the sbin variants in the default path...  And there's no point in
not adding those paths when they aren't there.

Moreover, there are lots of good reasons to explicitly call a program
with an absolute path, because sometimes you can have the same program
in multiple places in your path and you want to make sure you get the
right one.  (This *has* happened to me before, because e.g. "mock" is in
/usr/bin *and* /usr/sbin -- so PATH order does matter).

-derek