[ale] Arduino Locally

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 10:20:03 EDT 2011

On 2011/07/27, at 13:56 , David Hillman wrote:

> I got the UNO from Microcenter in Duluth for $29.
> I also got a few potentiometers and a LCD.
> It can get expensive when you buy all the pieces
> separately.

I think the prices for the bits and pieces of electronic
prototyping have been pretty consistent over the years,
Sadly, he funky salvage places like Delta all seem to
have gone away (is the place near Jimmy Carter and I85
still there? - it's been a couple years since I was there
and I can't remember the name), but Fry's fills the gap
to some extent.

Relative to what you can build much more easily and
quickly these days with a core like Arduino, I think
overall project costs are definitely lower cost in both
time an money investment.  I think the resurgence
of interest in basic electronic hobbies and hacking
has improved availability and affordability, too.

>  It's too bad they didn't have any encoders.
>  Anybody know where to find rotary encoders locally?

Would it work for you to repurpose a mouse wheel?
I would imagine you could reverse the role of a stepper
motor from a dead printer for that.

Or are you looking to make something angle specific?

Creative salvage can be the key to cost savings in the
electronic hobbyist arena!

peace
aaron