[ale] adding an rpm to a kickstart repo

Steven A. DuChene linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 11 22:59:03 EDT 2011

I have copied the various files off of a Redhat dvd to a kickstart server and created a working ks.cfg file. I am able to kickstart servers with the default install files that were on the original DVD media. However I want to be able to update some of the rpms with newer ones like a newer kernel. I also need to add one or two custom rpms of my own.

I tried just copying my small add-on rpm into the Packages directory and then adding that rpm name into my ks.cfg file but I got an error during the resulting kickstart operation that the rpm was not available. I am pretty sure I need to update the repo files that tell the system what rpms are available. I installed the createrepo rpm along with some other dependencies required but I have not been able to find any definite directions on how to accomplish this.

Has anyone here ever done something like this and can provide some direction on how to proceed from this point or point me towards some definite documentation on the process?
--
Steven DuChene