[ale] OT

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 15:53:06 EDT 2011

"What did I do wrong? I know that this question haunts evolutionary
biologists, and I
tried to start a dialog, rather than have a pertinent answer."

All Stack sites derive from the original StackOverflow. In Joel's
words, this is what a Stack site (of which only StackOverflow existed
at the time) is supposed to be[1]:

"Every question in Stack Overflow is like the Wikipedia article for
some extremely narrow, specific programming question. How do I enlarge
a fizzbar without overwriting the user’s snibbit? This question should
only appear once in the site. Duplicates should be cleaned up quickly
and redirected to the original question."

You stated yourself, in the above quote, that you "tried to start a
dialog, rather than" ask for a specific answer. That is not what a
Stack site is for, plain and simple. If you want to start a
philosophical, or theological, discussion, then you need to ask
elsewhere. Even if you are trying to start up some research into the
topic, ask elsewhere.

Most "back and forth exchanges" should be taking place in the
comments. And these exchanges should be trying to either A) get
clarification of the question so that an answer can be written, B)
suggest a correction or add support to an answer, C) point out that
the question is a duplicate. If you see some sort of exchange in the
form of "Question > Answer > Response in Answer > Response in Answer >
..." then you should report that question for moderation.

[1] -- http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2008/09/15.html

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/