[ale] questions for the media gurus

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Sun Jul 10 15:04:53 EDT 2011

> It depends what format the files are in but what you're asking is unlikely.
> Most formats will require re-encoding, you can't just slice bits out in the
> middle.
Many formats do not require "re-encoding", rather you can copy the
interesting parts out at file-copy speed. I know this works for MPEG2
and xvid/AVI (provided you stay on GOP boundaries).

Some media playback devices and software will work with "skip files"
created by comskip. GB-PVR does and mplayer will too. There must be others.

90% accurate commercial removal (or marking) is possible. A little
googling will teach you loads. The key steps are:
- MPEG2 files as input (this is key)
- comskip to locate commercials - comskip runs well under WINE.
- Software that can use one of the comskip-produced files to skip over
commercials
OR
- Software that can read the comskip generated file(s) and will cut the
source MPEG file.

After you cut the mpeg file, you can transcode into whatever other
format you (or your playback devices) prefer.  I prefer h.264/MKV
containers since they support multiple audio and subtitle tracks and can
correct for FPS issues to sync the audio/video with out lengthy
processes.  The only down side is older devices don't support MKV and to
use it with 7MC, you need 3rd party codec paks - I don't "do" 7MC for
playback. XBMC rocks.

There is an AVI file commercial marking program, but since AVI files
need to be cut on GOP boundaries, I found that a little less than optimal.

VideoRedoPlus works with comskip's .vprj "cut" files. That software has
comskip-like commercial locating built-in too, but automating it sucks -
AHK can be used. If you care about subtitles, you'll want the more
expensive TV Suite - sadly, it only runs under Windows.

I'm still looking for a Linux-based, frame accurate, video editor that
works with comskip cut files (.txt, .edl, .vprj, etc.).  Since comskip
isn't 100% accurate at locating commercials, manual tweaking of the cut
points is required. It does a good job of getting very close, if not
perfect.

Ideas?