[ale] Strange happenings

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Jul 8 10:32:03 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-08 at 10:26 -0400, chip wrote:

> I've experienced it a few times myself.  OS just quits booting, files
> gone, file corruption.  Seen this across many drives and different
> manufacturers.  I must admit that I still do use an SSD for the OS but
> all my data sits on disks with platters, mostly.   I don't know if
> that's what has happened here, but I would warn anyone against putting
> the fate of your data on an SSD.

I have been using an SSD for a while now without issue, though I have
read many reports of interesting failures on them.

I am no more cautious with SSDs than I am with HDDs: backup, backup,
backup.  While I have only owned one SSD compared to several HDDs, I
have lost _lots_ of data to HDDs over the years...

	--- Mike