[ale] IEEE 1394 in FC14

Richard Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Thu Jul 7 22:10:21 EDT 2011

Hi Scott --

No!  I hadn't seen this one yet.  Yes, it does sound VERY familiar and
is what I'm beating-up at the moment.  I have gotten to the point that I
know that the system recognizes the SIIG card on the PCI bus (lspci -nn)
and I can see the camera recognized as I hot-swap it via
gnome-device-manager.  (Keep in mind I'm in the great grey mass of
*nix-heads that are between noob and guru -- so much more to learn!)

What really sucks is that XP sees the camera w/o special drivers
installed.  It's nothing to write home about but then again I don't need
anything elaborate.  I'm trying to reproduce a reported shearing issue
in the video...which I suspect as being a clocking issue.  I just can't
get the h/w to play nice with the platform that is being used on the
client system overseas.

Thanks for the link!  Will read it in more depth tomorrow.....R