[ale] Red Hat upgrades?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Jul 5 21:58:48 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 21:36 -0400, Pat Regan wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 16:19:36 -0400
> "Michael H. Warfield" <mhw at wittsend.com> wrote:

> > 1) Fedora is stable.  It's not bleeding edge unless you are on
> > Rawhide. That myth is promulgated by people arguing against Fedora.
> > Fedora is very much like Ubuntu 6 month.

> I'm surprised no one has mentioned the concept of using the right tool
> for the right job.  I certainly prefer using a faster moving and more
> up to date distro on certain servers, like when an application needs a
> whole bunch of modern drivers.

Actually, you are absolutely correct.  As the other expression goes:
"When all you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a
nail."

> Then again, I don't want any surprises on some servers.  I prefer to
> barely have to think about my DNS servers for five or six years at a
> time :)

Right...  And that's actually why I chose to put Fedora on my base
engines and were I need or want RHEL or CentOS in a VM, I can do that.
If I need flexibility, I can load Fedora in a VM.  My host engines are
minimal services and easy to upgrade.  The VM's can be anything I want
and they are.

> > > In RHEL stability and supportability are the main drivers.
> >
> > Another myth.  I've already dealt with that.  The main drivers are
> > commercial product deliverables.  Put the stability myth in the
> > dustbin where it belongs.  You want stability, you got it with Fedora
> > if you go -1 on the release version.  RHEL 6 is going to have it's
> > amusements and just WHY do you suppose CentOS has not released
> > version 6 yet?  Yes, RH made life miserable on Oracle and a couple of
> > others but those others included CentOS.  Stability is NOT their main
> > objective.

> I'm stuck with CentOS on a handful of my own servers because of
> commercial applications.  For the commercial products, I don't really
> care which distro they're running on...  Especially since I don't have
> that many of them and they don't need a major operating system update
> very often.

Exactly true again.  And that's why a number of the VM's I host are
CentOS.  Very true.

> Pat

Regards,
Mike