[ale] cd command and auto complete

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 19:36:29 EDT 2011

On 2011/07/01, at 11:41 , Jim Kinney wrote:

> Linux ain't winders! Thankfully!!

Indeed. Without the standard *nix command set or
the depth of bash a command line tool like cmd.exe
is severely limited.

> You haven't entered enough data to pick one or the
> other yet with just the "co". If you hit <TAB> twice it
> will show you the options is does see with the minimal
> input so far. so add more to make it unique and then
> tab-completion will make it happen the rest of the way.

I think it was understood how command completion worked
by default in the bash shell.  The question was if command
completion could be set to progress through the list of potential
choices with repeated <TAB> key presses (or a command key
combination) instead of simply displaying the choices.

The link offered by Billy (which leads to the original source
below) is a cool solution that does exactly what was requested:

<http://www.jpsdomain.org/linux/linux.html>

Pretty convenient trick. Seems worth the time of adding a few
lines to the inputrc.

peace
aaron