[ale] Red Hat upgrades?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 09:39:59 EDT 2011

tough cookies! The upgrade is basically a complete removal and replacement
of ALL libs and binaries anyway. RHEL is NOT a rolling upgrade process for a
(good) reason.

So you will have to backup all configs, learn all about what has changed
between 4->5 and 5->6 and rewrite pretty much ALL configs.

Since this is in a vm environment it's all pretty easy. Just make a new vm
with the RHEL6 fresh install and start migrating and testing. Once it all
passes QA, change the vips and you're done with a fallback route if you miss
something.

RHEL6 is a totally different animal from RHEL4. Good riddance to RHEL4.

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 9:20 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Geoffrey Myers
> <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> > James Sumners wrote:
> >> I'm going to test upgrading one of my production Virtual Machines. The
> >> VM is running RHEL4. Can I go from 4 to 6? Or do I need to upgrade to
> >> 5 before 6?
> >
> > I think you're looking at a clean install.
>
> That is not acceptable.
>

> --
> James Sumners
> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>
> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts
> pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it
> is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become
> drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>
> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
> CH:D 59

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/