[ale] SANs Cyber Patriot Challenge for High School age youths

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 11:52:13 EST 2011

All,

Okay, I just posted about SIFT.  (A Ubuntu based cyber investigation respin).

What can be done with it?

Do any of you have high school age kids that are computer gurus?
===  If so

SANs is now sponsoring both a high-school and College Cyber Challenge
related to Cyber Defense (or Cyber Security).

Teams can be 2 to 5 people, grades 9-12.  (or 13+ if home school'ed)

See https://www.uscyberpatriot.org/about/Pages/FAQ.aspx

Per the faq:
May two or more entities combine to form a single team if there are
insufficient students interested in the single schools/unit?
Yes. A “combined” team may be formed, but additional, separate teams
are not permitted to be formed in the schools participating in the
combined team. A single “coach” must be designated for the combined
team and verified by officials from all schools contributing students
to the team.

I don't know if GA High School teams are competing or not.  Surely
some of you know?

If not, I think ALE should find some high school'ers that want to
compete, but are in schools with no team.  Then we could provide a
coach and a mentor.

There is a $350 fee to compete.  Maybe we could do a fund-raiser to
pay that for the team.

I'd be willing to be a mentor for the team.

If there is enough interest, we could even sponsor multiple teams.
ANy other potential mentors out there?

Greg