[ale] init problem after dist-upgrade

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Jan 31 10:21:35 EST 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-30 at 23:00 -0500, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> I tried capturing data but not much luck. it keeps saying could not load
> /root

Bingo!  I'm presuming (please correct me) that it really said either
unable to "find" the root file system or unable to "mount" the root file
system or something to that effect?  Exact wording is important.  I know
you can't copy and paste from the dead machine but the exact literal
error message is important, something right down to capitalization.

> Not sure doing dist-upgrade was a crime.

It's not.  I do it all the time on both Fedora and on Ubuntu.

> Any idea how to redirect the error messages to a sep file on the local box
> or remote box ?

Not at that level, no.

Have you run an actual recovery using the recovery disk?

> how to pass the arguments to init, so i can go ahead and boot ?

You can't.  The problem is not "init".  The problem is your rootfs.  It
can't mount the rootfs so, when it goes to run init, it can't find init,
which is on the rootfs.