[ale] LInux Based Media Players

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Jan 31 10:16:09 EST 2011

On 01/31/2011 08:18 AM, Michael Potter wrote:
> I am intending to buy a media player and want to give preference to
> Linux based systems.
[snip]
> There are several definitions of media players.  The one I am looking
> for is basically a NAS drive with hdmi out.
> I put a .mp4 on the NAS drive, and it appears on the selection of
> shows to watch on the TV connected to the hdmi out.

Hi Michael.

You may find this article helpful.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/11/switched-on-which-connected-tv-box-are-you/

Based on your criteria I think you might like the Western Digital WD TV
Live Plus. It runs linux and there's alternative firmware available.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Media-Player-WDBABX0000NBK-NESN/dp/B003MVZ60I

http://b-rad.cc/1295/wdlxtv-plus-for-wdtv-live-plus/

--
All the best,