[ale] Mount a remote NTFS partition

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Jan 28 11:33:03 EST 2011

Hey John,

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 15:01 -0500, John Pilman wrote:
> I have not tried this with an administrative share, however this is
> the syntax I use:

> mount -t smbfs -o username=thatsme,password=secret,uid=john,gid=john
> //server/share /mountpoint

> smbfs is installed separately from samba - this took me a while to
> find, so it may be causing you trouble too.

I know Jeff already replied to this but I thought his reply was rather
lukewarm.  So, as a Samba Team member and one of the former maintainers
of smbfs and smbmount, let me put it this way...  Please DO NOT use
smbfs.

Smbfs is obsolete and deprecated and has not been maintained or
supported for years.  I'm really surprised they're still building the
smbfs module in in the kernel.  I would think it should have been moved
to legacy by now, but it hasn't been my baby for years.  It really
should be removed.  It might not (probably won't) even work against
newer Windows boxes using SMB over port 445 since it was coded for the
old stuff using SMB/NMB over port 139.

Smbfs has been superceded by CIFS.  That is the correct file system to
be using with SMB mounts and supports a wide variety of Windows
connections.  It will also handle a variety of conditions which could
well cause smbfs to choke.  I wasn't the original author of either the
smbfs kernel module or the smbmount utilities and helpers but I do
remember having to track down and fix several problems and I'm sure
there were plenty more where those came from.  The cifs module and
helpers were done to address the many limitations and problems in smbfs.

> ...John

Regards,
Mike