[ale] MoBo works with kernel 2.6.29 but not newer.

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 22:23:32 EST 2011

On 01/27/2011 07:22 PM, Ed Cashin wrote:
> It doesn't *sound* like a hardware problem, but there are
> a lot of unknowns.  Maybe you could say a bit more about
> what does happen when you try to boot the 2.6.31 kernel.

Booting with 2.6.35 I've gotten the following:

[2.0269701] general protection fault 0000[#1] SMP
last sysfs file: /sys/bus/pci/drivers/radeon/uevent
. a whole bunch of stuff
. scrolled off the screen
. paused at this point
worker 147 failed while handling '/devices/pci 0000:00/2222:00:03.010000
- fast scrolling started again so was not able to get rest of line

I also got once;
[.6182001] Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed

I also occasionally got the following 3 lines;

boot device found

boot device found

Boot has failed, sleeping forever

These occur when I try to boot with the BIOS set to initialize video
from any slot besides the onboard video.

The board is a Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H rev 2.1 and BIOS FF.
> Do you have a serial console going in case it's a video
> compatibility/configuration problem?
No. Do you mean an external serial terminal or just using an alternate
console (F1 - F6)? I don't think those have been initialized yet when
this happens.