[ale] BIND split view on secondary/slave server

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Jan 27 11:29:15 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 11:08 -0500, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> I've done the split views on master/slave but haven't tried setting up
> so that only the slave has the split.
>
> To use split views on both master and slave I left my original IPs
> (internal and external since it is DMZ host) then added virtual IPs on
> the same NICs.  This is because You have to use separate IPs for each
> view to allow the transfer from slave to master.
>
> However, since the split is defined in the named.conf and the
> designation of slave zone is also defined in named.conf on the slave
> it seems you should be able to set up separate views that way so long
> as you are updating the special view zones on the slave rather than
> trying to transfer them.   (If you want to transfer then you WILL have
> to setup on the master but you ought to be able to tell the master
> that everyone sees your default view and only setup the special view
> to allow for transfer.)

So instead of transferring them, it'd be easier to just maintain the
slave view as a separate zone for which the slave server is the master?

I am starting to remember why I disliked BIND... It'd be nice if a RR
could have a qualifier attached to it, where you could say "return this
one only if the inquirer is in a.b.c.d/e range" and have that replicate.
I am a big fan of All In One Place, but I am also a big fan of Not More
Complex Than Strictly Necessary.

	--- Mike