[ale] BIND split view on secondary/slave server

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Jan 27 10:44:17 EST 2011

Hi,

I am still going through the BIND documentation on how to accomplish
this, but this might be faster if someone has done it.

I have two DNS servers that both handle several (identical) zones.
However, there are special requirements on the slave server, in that it
needs to return RFC 1918 addresses for certain network things (actually,
only one particular entry at the moment).  I have fired djbdns on my
master DNS server, but I have yet to drop it in at the secondary because
the secondary is the one that requires the split-horizon.

What I am trying to figure out is if it is possible to manage this
centrally at the master.  It looks like what I might need to do is have
an alternative zone file, say "db.internal.<zone_name>", and have that
be present on both the master and the slave.  Then have a view defined
on the slave server such that it serves up db.internal.<zone_name>
instead of db.<zone_name> when queries come from the internal network.

It doesn't look like such views can be part of the AXFR transferred
zones themselves.

Am I right on all of this, or is there perhaps something I have missed
(or not yet read in the BIND documentation, which I have on my Kindle
and I am reading through, sequentially)?

	Thanks,
	Mike