[ale] Mount a remote NTFS partition

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Jan 26 13:38:24 EST 2011

If you're using GNOME, you have no need to use the CLI at all; GNOME
(particularly modern GNOME) has a VFS (virtual filesystem) that you
can use to browse and mount such shares, and you can also access those
shares from non-GNOME programs because they are exposed as mount
points in ~/.gvfs/ by name.

However, if your goal is to present the shared drive as a system-wide
mountpoint, you'll need to have the mount.cifs helper program
installed (check with your distribution's package manager for that; it
might or might not come with Samba itself), and then you need to mount
it with a command along the lines of:

  mount //NAME_OR_IP/SHARE_NAME -t cifs -o ${OPTIONS} /path/to/mountpoint

You'll need to read up on what options are required for the CIFS mount
module, if you require the ability to specify a username or password
(or both) for the share.